Full set of game notes (pdf)
Big Sky Tournament home page
• Sacramento State (28-23, 12-6) will compete in the six-team Big Sky Conference Tournament. The postseason event will take place May 11-14 at Wildcat Softball Field in Ogden, Utah.
• The tournament, which is a double elimination format, features four games on Wednesday, three on Thursday, two more on Friday, and the championship game on Saturday. There is a chance two games are played on Saturday if necessary.
• Every game of the tournament will be streamed on ESPN+. Live stats will also be provided.
• The Hornets, who finished the regular season in a tie for second place in the Big Sky standings, earned the No. 2 seed and a first round bye. Sacramento State will play in the second round on Wednesday at 4 p.m. PDT against the winner of No. 3 Portland State/No. 6 Montana.
• Six of the league's seven teams qualify for the Big Sky Tournament, and the winner will earn the conference's automatic berth to the NCAA Regionals. Sacramento State last won the Big Sky Tournament title and qualified for NCAA Regionals in 2018.
• Seeds for this year's tournament are as follows with conference records: No. 1 Weber State (13-1), No. 2 Sacramento State (12-6), No. 3 Portland State (10-5), No. 4 Northern Colorado (10-8), No. 5 Idaho State (8-10) and No. 6 Montana (6-11). Southern Utah did not qualify for the tournament.
• The Hornets needed to sweep their three-game home series vs. Southern Utah this past weekend to gain the No. 2 seed, and that's exactly what they did. What made that sweep so important is only the top two seeds at the Big Sky Tourney receive a first round bye.
• Sacramento State remains the only team in the conference that has qualified for every Big Sky Tournament since the league began sponsoring softball in 2013. And the Hornets have been the No. 3 seed or higher seven times (2014-18, 2021-22).
• The Hornets played six Big Sky three-game series this season, and won five of them. The only series they did not win came against Weber State where Sacramento State was swept (April 9-10).
• Hornets' records this season against the tourney field: Idaho State (2-1), Portland State (2-1), Northern Colorado (2-1), Montana (3-0) and Weber State (0-3).
• Should Sacramento State win its game on Wednesday, it would play again on Thursday at 4 p.m. PDT against Weber State, Northern Colorado or Idaho State. A loss on Wednesday, and the Hornets would play Thursday at 1:30 p.m. PDT.
• The quickest way for the Hornets to win the Big Sky Tournament would be to win three straight games, which would mean one game on Wednesday, one on Thursday, and one on Saturday. Only the top two seeds (Weber State/Sacramento State) have that potential three-game title route.
• The championship game will take place on Saturday at 11 a.m. PDT. There is a chance another game would need to be played, and that would take place at 1:30 p.m. PDT if necessary.
• Sacramento State will be seeking its second Big Sky title (2018) since the league began sponsoring softball in 2013. The Hornets' last two conference championships and NCAA Tournament appearances came in 2018, and in 2008 when they were members of the Pacific Coast Softball Conference.
• Amazingly, the host of the tournament has won the Big Sky's postseason event just once (Weber State did in 2016). Portland State won in 2013, Southern Utah in 2014, Weber State in both 2015 and 2016, Montana in 2017, Sacramento State in 2018, Weber State in 2019, and Portland State a year ago. Idaho State hosted the first three years (2013-15), Weber State hosted the next three (2016-18), Sacramento State in 2019, and Weber State in 2021. The Big Sky Tournament was not played in 2020 because of the pandemic.
• Of this year's tournament field, only Northern Colorado and Idaho State have yet to win a Big Sky Tournament championship. Each of the other four teams have claimed at least one title.
• Sacramento State is 11-14 all-time in Big Sky Tournament play, including 1-2 in the 2021 tourney.
• Hornets' all-time Big Sky Tournament records vs. the league's teams: 2-6 vs. Idaho State, 3-2 vs. Montana, 3-2 vs. Southern Utah, 2-1 vs. Northern Colorado, 1-2 vs. Weber State and 0-1 vs. Portland State.
• On Tuesday, Hornet right-hander Marissa Bertuccio was named the NFCA National Pitcher of the Week after her performances last week vs. Southern Utah, which included her first career no-hitter.
August 1, 2022 SEVEN SOFTBALL PLAYERS NAMED NFCA SCHOLAR-ATHLETES
May 10, 2022 BERTUCCIO NAMED NFCA NATIONAL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
April 30, 2022 SOFTBALL FALLS IN SERIES FINALE AT WEBER STATE
April 29, 2022 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR AT WEBER STATE
April 28, 2022 SOFTBALL SET FOR HUGE 3-GAME SERIES AT WEBER STATE
April 26, 2022 REGISTRATION OPEN FOR SUMMER SOFTBALL CAMPS
April 19, 2022 SOFTBALL FALLS TO STANFORD IN FINAL NON-LEAGUE GAMES
March 31, 2022 SOFTBALL TO HOST THREE-GAME SERIES WITH PORTLAND STATE
March 26, 2022 SOFTBALL FALLS TO IDAHO STATE, BUT WINS THE 3-GAME SERIES
March 25, 2022 SOFTBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY WITH ROAD SWEEP OF IDAHO STATE
March 23, 2022 SOFTBALL CONTINUES TO ROLL, WINS ON THE ROAD AT CAL
March 17, 2022 SOFTBALL OVERPOWERS NORTH DAKOTA IN DOUBLEHEADER SWEEP
March 13, 2022 SOFTBALL BEATS IOWA STATE, 3-2 IN DRAMATIC FASHION
March 4, 2022 SOFTBALL BEATS DIXIE STATE, PEREZ WINS 200TH CAREER GAME
February 27, 2022 SOFTBALL WINNING STREAK SNAPPED IN LOSS AT SAN JOSE STATE
February 25, 2022 SOFTBALL SPLITS TWO GAMES ON FIRST DAY OF THE SILICON VALLEY CLASSIC
February 24, 2022 SOFTBALL TRAVELS TO THE BAY AREA FOR FIVE GAMES FRIDAY-SUNDAY
February 19, 2022 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR OF GAMES IN SECOND DAY OF THE LA JOLLA INVITE
February 16, 2022 SOFTBALL TO PLAY FIVE GAMES OVER THREE DAYS AT UC SAN DIEGO TOURNEY
February 12, 2022 SOFTBALL SPLITS A PAIR OF GAMES, EARNS FIRST WIN OF 2022 SEASON
February 11, 2022 SOFTBALL DROPS SEASON OPENER TO SAN JOSE STATE, 2-1
February 8, 2022 SOFTBALL SEASON IS HERE! HORNETS HOST THE NORCAL KICKOFF FRI.-SUN.
January 31, 2022 SOFTBALL SELECTED THIRD IN THE BIG SKY PRESEASON COACHES POLL
December 9, 2021 REGISTRATION FOR JAN. 22 WINTER PROSPECT CLINIC IS OPEN
December 7, 2021 SOFTBALL RELEASES 2022 SCHEDULE, 52 GAMES ON THE DOCKET
November 12, 2021 SOFTBALL SIGNS IMANI BLACK, AVERY BROWN AND KATIE MARSH