OGDEN, Utah. – Sacramento State women's tennis put together an excellent effort Sunday, but came up just short in its season finale on the road at Weber State, 4-3.
Three different Hornets – Jayden Nielsen, Paige Alter, and Tsveti Yotova – all picked up wins in singles competition on Sunday, but Sacramento State was unable to find that elusive fourth point in the team's season finale loss.
"I couldn't be any more proud of how we competed today," said head coach Cami Hubbs after Sunday's season finale. "It wasn't the result we wanted, but it was a strong performance at the end of an extremely tough season. They played some of their best tennis today."
Following a Weber State sweep in doubles competition, Tsveti Yotova clinched Sacramento State's first point of the afternoon. Playing at the No. 4 singles position, Yotova defeated her opponent in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1, to even the score, 1-1.
From there, Weber State ripped off three straight singles wins at the Nos. 6, 5, and 2 positions, in that order, to go ahead and clinch the match, 4-1.
Despite the Wildcats having clinched the match, Nielsen and Alter continued to compete, ultimately picking up another point each for the Hornets.
Alter finished first, defeating her opponent in three sets at the No. 3 spot. After dropping a tough first set, 7-5, Alter responded in convincing fashion, winning each of the next two, 6-2, 6-2.
Similarly, Nielsen, competing at No. 1, also recovered from a tough first set loss to take her match in three sets. Nielsen fell in the first set, 6-1, but countered with a strong 6-2 second set before battling to a 7-5 win in the third.
For Nielsen, the singles win was her team-leading sixth of the year as the sophomore finishes the 2021 regular season with a 6-7 overall record in singles competition. For Alter and Yotova, each picked up their third singles win of the year in Sunday's finale.
Sacramento State finishes the 2021 season with a 1-14 overall record, including an 0-3 mark against the Big Sky.
Tennis Match Results
Sacramento State vs Weber State
Apr 25, 2021 at Ogden, Utah
(Edman Tennis Courts)
Weber State 4, Sacramento State 3
1. NIELSEN, Jayden (SAC) def. UKTIA, Yuuna (WSU) 1-6, 6-2, 7-5
2. MORETT SALAS, Ana (WSU) def. TAGALOA, Megan (SAC) 6-7 (3-7), 6-0, 6-1
3. ALTER, Paige (SAC) def. LOMBARDI, Megan (WSU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
4. YOTOVA, Tsveti (SAC) def. DAVIES, Megan (WSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. KUO, Pei-Hsuan (WSU) def. CASEY, Shauna (SAC) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
6. FERREIRA, Sicely (WSU) def. YU, Jin (SAC) 6-0, 5-7, 6-0
1. MORETT SALAS, Ana/UKTIA, Yuuna (WSU) def. NIELSEN, Jayden/TAGALOA, Megan (SAC) 6-4
2. DAVIES, Megan/FERREIRA, Sicely (WSU) def. ALTER, Paige/YOTOVA, Tsveti (SAC) 6-0
3. KUO, Pei-Hsuan/LOMBARDI, Megan (WSU) def. CASEY, Shauna/YU, Jin (SAC) 6-3
Sacramento State 1-14 (0-3 BSC)
Weber State 7-10 (2-1 BSC)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,6,5,2,3,1)